Organized in 1938, Local 571 currently is a 5900+ member union of teachers and paraprofessional and school-related personnel (PSRPs) employed in school districts in western Cook and DuPage Counties and retirees.
Local 571 exists to serve the interests of its members as determined by democratic processes at the council, local, state, and national levels. For the most part, those interests have to do with:
- Establishing job security and fairness, usually through collective bargaining and legislation
- Empowering members to act to uphold high standards for their professions and their schools
- Disseminating information on professional issues and providing programs of leadership training and professional development
- Acting in coalition with other organizations to address issues affecting all working Americans
- Issues of social and racial justice and equality for all working Americans.
Local 571 is affiliated with the Illinois Federation of Teachers (IFT), the American Federation of Teachers (AFT), and the AFL-CIO. It also participates in the North Central Illinois Labor Council and Chicago Federation of Labor.
The governance and policy of Local 571 is set by:
- The Executive Board, consisting of elected officers and trustees from each of the councils
- The House of Representatives, consisting of elected representatives from each council on a proportionate basis
- The Convention, which delegates from each council attend to vote on changes to the Local's Constitution and Bylaws
Employee groups are represented in councils. Each council has its own Executive Board and officers. Councils are encouraged to hold regular executive board and general membership meetings.
Dues paid to Local 571 include membership in the IFT, AFT, the AFL-CIO, and its affiliates. Approximately 20% of the dues stays at the Local level, permitting local autonomy. State staff, attorneys, defense funds, and other services and benefits are also made possible through your local dues. Local 571 provides all of these services to you while maintaining one of the lowest dues structure of any major educational organization in the state.
Local 571, through its professional staff, works directly with councils in formulating contract demands and negotiating the package. Contract demands reflect the interests of the members in each council. Local 571 encourages the formation of bargaining teams with representatives from each school and job category.
Since 1940, when a Local 571 council negotiated one of the first teachers' contracts in the nation, its councils have been pioneers in securing contract benefits, including:
- Family/dependent insurance coverage
- Dental insurance
- Employer-paid employee pension
- Sick day banks
- Seniority and job protection clauses
- Retirement pay, early retirement programs
IFT attorneys are available at no additional cost to the member or council in work-related cases involving civil, professional, or constitutional rights. Legal cases are approved and handled through the Local's Legal Defense Committee, Executive Board, and House of Representatives.
SERVICES AND BENEFITS
Local 571 and IFT staff are available to assist with any job-related needs of the council or individual employees.
Local 571 and the IFT conduct workshops and training programs on a variety of union leadership and professional issues. Resources in the form of printed materials, website links, and PowerPoint presentations are also available.
Our Political Action Committee reviews incumbents' voting records and surveys new candidates to determine which it can support and recommend to our members.
Local 571 informs its members of pending legislation and coordinates lobbying campaigns to ensure that our voice is heard on collective bargaining, pension, school funding, and other education issues.
Argo High School PSRP
Argo High School Teachers
DuPage District 88 High School Clerical
and Technical Staff
DuPage District 88 High School PSRP
DuPage District 88 High School Teachers
Elmhurst Unit District PSRP
Elmhurst Unit District Teachers
Elmwood Park Unit District PSRP
Franklin Park Custodians
Franklin Park Teachers
Indian Springs Custodians
Indian Springs PSRP
Indian Springs Teachers
Leyden High School PSRP-Teachers
Morton High School Clerical- Teachers
Proviso High School PSRP
Proviso High School Teachers